This recipe my husband first made for me when I was pregnant and for some reason craved Apple Pie. It has since become a family favourite and its delicious, so if you like apple pie give this version a go, its taken from Jamie Oliver and slightly changed.
for the filling
5 large apples, (I like the non sweet variety, peeled, cored and cut into eights)
3 tablespoons Demetra sugar
1 teaspoons ground ginger
handful of sultanas (optional)
1 lemon (juice and zest)
for the pastry
250g plain flour
50g icing sugar
splash of milk
- preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a food processor put the flour, sugar, salt, lemon zest and juice, cut the butter into cubes and put into the processor, pulse for 30 seconds scraping the sides that stick.
- crack an egg into the mixture and the splash of milk and pulse for another 2 minutes, occasionally scraping the sides.
- move mixture into a bowl and using your hands work the mixture into a ball, wrap in cling foil and place into the fridge
- In a pan on medium heat, place the cut apples, sugar, ginger, lemon zest and juice. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until apples are partially cooked.
- remove from heat and let cool. Add Sultanas and mix again
to make the pie
- dust flour onto a clean surface and take half of the pastry and using a rolling pin roll the mixture into a bigger shape of the pie dish till the pastry is about half centimetre thick
- grease the pie dish and gently place the pastry onto the dish making sure the dish is covered, if rips happen just patch them up
- Place the filing mixture into the dish
- Roll the other half of the pastry mixture once again into a bigger shape of the pie dish and about half centimetre thick
- gently place the pastry on top of the pie dish and using your finger and thumb crimp the edges folding the excess pastry around the edges.
- gently separate an egg to use the yolk and mix the yolk with a splash of milk. Using a pastry brush, wash the pie with the egg yolk mixture.
- with a knife cut patterns into the pastry to let the filing breath while cooking
- place into the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown