This claim I make not neelie willie like, I actually really mean it! If your like me and like a thin crust pizza that is easy to make and delicious, well this is for you!
The recipe was originally introduced to us from our dear friends in the UK and is taken from Jamie Oliver. We usually make a big batch and then freeze the left over dough in cling wrap for later use. It lasts a long time in the freezer.
800g bread flour
200g finely ground semolina
1 teaspoon salt
2 x 7g dry yeast sachets
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon olive oil
650ml lukewarm water
- Sieve the flour and salt onto a clean dry surface, make a well in the centre. Combine the water, oil, sugar and yeast in a jug, leave for a few minutes and then pour into the centre of the flour well.
- Using your hands slowly close the well and combine all the ingredients. Once all combined knead the mixture until you get a smooth springy dough.
- (you can skip most of the hard work by using a machine that kneads, just place the flours and water/oil/sugar/yeast mixture into the machine and press a button!)
- place the mixture into a large bowl thats been dusted with flour, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm room for an hour. The mixture should double in size and then its ready
- dust some flour onto the dough, remove it from the bowl and place onto a flour dusted surface. Using your hands, knead the dough lightly to remove some of the air (1 minute is usually enough)
- Once that's done, break the dough up into small balls (size of your palm). The recipe makes 6-8 pizzas. Either use immediately or wrap the balls in cling foil and pop into your freezer for later
- Now to make your pizza. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. On a flour dusted surface, roll the ball around and press using your hands to make into a round shape.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until its around half centimetre thick.
- On an oven tray, I like to then place in the oven for 5 minutes to give the crust extra crunchiness but this stage is optional, if you don't like it too crunchy proceed to the next stage
- Remove from oven and place any toppings you desire ( I love to keep it simple with a good sauce, preferably home made, onion, tomatoes, peperoni and of course cheese!)
- Reduce oven to 180 degrees and bake pizza for 10-15 minutes or until lovely and golden